qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] feature request: changing boot device in the monitor

From: Gildas
Subject: [Qemu-devel] feature request: changing boot device in the monitor
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 13:34:16 +0000

Hi,

I don't know whether this is an easy one or not and if it will apply
to all archs, but I'd like to see an option in the monitor to
change/override the value given for -boot.

This way, for instance if you install a VM from a CDROM using "-boot
d", you would be able to restart it on the hard-drive from the monitor
with something like "boot c" followed by "system_reset".

I know there is still the workaround of stopping the emulation and
restarting it with a different set of commands, but when remotely
accessing a VM with a lots of redirection/connection, it's not very
handy.

Of course there is also an orthogonal way of doing this consisting in
adding a boot menu to the BIOS. Implementing both ways would of course
be nice, but the monitor solution would have my preference :)

Regards,
Gildas