qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] define desired speed?

From: Jeremy C. Reed
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] define desired speed?
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:17:53 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:

> > Any way to startup qemu with my own desired speed?

>  Check http://www.miroslavnovak.com/qemu-brake_en.php

Thank you. I am using it now with "-brake 75"

Before using the -brake, the system said it was 7497.31 BogoMIPS.
(The real host hardware as a 1900Mhz CPU.)

-brake 75  resulted in 3761.76 BogoMips

Also reported by the Linux kernel that booted in qemu:

        CPU clock speed is 4739.2721 MHz.
        host bus clock speed is 2500.1500 MHz
(I didn't notice the CPU clock speed or the host bus clock speed without
-brake.)

Again my goal is to pretend the system is running on around 233 MHz CPU.

I am doing this to research "lightweight" open source operating systems
and software for a book I am writing. (The book defines "lightweight" and
explains how to evaluate software, improve or prepare software for small
systems, and introduces a wide range of open source software usable on
systems with very limited resources. If you are interested in giving
feedback on my book outline or book in progress, please let me know.) It
is more convenient for me to boot and use them in qemu versus installing
many on various real hardware.

  Jeremy C. Reed