qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] WE NEED GCC 4 please

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] WE NEED GCC 4 please
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:18:53 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:

> If I may jump into the pool...
>
> > I plan to work around the MinGW issue by guarding the offending part
> > by "#ifdef GCC...", even if I have been told that it works only by
> > chance (but it works, whereas any other option I tried does not).

Thanks for not saying who you quote.

> Ehm, should we better wait a bit for fabrice to complete his code code
> generator?

I said "work around", didn't I?

And so far I have not seen anything but an announcement that Fabrice will
start "in the next days".

> but I just think it will save us from more work in the future (making it
> always gcc 3 compatible) and thus progress to more demanding area like
> truly support SVM/VT, better SMP and so on.

Most unlikely will it save us more work.

The miniops right now are implemented as plain C commands.  If the "good"
gcc guys would not have insisted on not having an option to force the
"ret" or "jmp" statement at the end of the function, we could use them for
_all_ processors.

As it is, Fabrice's code generator will most likely be something similar
to Paul's qops, which means that you have to invent a "primitive C" in
which to write the miniops, and you will have to write a backend for
_each_ and _every_ host CPU you support.

Things clearer now?

Hth,
Dscho