qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] What does code_copy_enabled do?

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] What does code_copy_enabled do?
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 02:32:21 +0000

> > Any news on the possible cvs->svn migration?
>
> To be perfectly honest, IMO there is little point moving an existing
> project from CVS to SVN.

I disagree.  CVS has several fairly fundamental flaws (no global revision IDs,
unable to move files, and more subtle problems with branches/tags).
SVN fixes these, and in most cases works as a direct drop-in replacement for
CVS.

While I can see that distributed revision control systems do enable some
interesting possibilities, there's certainly no clear winner.  All of them
seem to have have fairly serious issues with either usability, portability,
scalability, and/or require learning a whole new workflow.  I'm sure
advocates of each system will claim that their system is the "best", but I
remain unconvinced.

SVN may not have the bells and whistles of some of the more exotic systems.
However it is is well tested proven technology, and IMO universally better
than CVS.

Paul