qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-system-sparc and Solaris 1.1.2 / SunOS 4.1.4

From: M. Warner Losh
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-system-sparc and Solaris 1.1.2 / SunOS 4.1.4
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:30:42 -0700 (MST)

In message: <address@hidden>
            Andrew Warkentin <address@hidden> writes:
: Robert Reif wrote:
:
: > Jan Holzhueter wrote:
: >
: >> Hi everyone,
: >> we are planing to get rid of some old sparc hardware.
: >> The problem is that there are applications on it that require
: >> sun4m and Solaris 1.1.2 / SunOS 4.1.4.
: >> As known qemu-system-sparc is not able to boot the Solaris Kernel at
: >> the moment.
: >>
: >> I get as far as:
: >>   [sparc] Booting file 'cdrom' with parameters ''
: >> Not a bootable ELF image
: >> Not a Linux kernel image
: >> Not a bootable a.out image
: >> Not a bootable ELF image
: >> Not a Linux kernel image
: >> Loaded 7680 bytes
: >> entry point is 0x4000
: >> Jumping to entry point...
: >> checksum 60746d10 != 86693bac, trying to boot anyway
: >> Unhandled Exception 0x00000007
: >> PC = 0x002002bc NPC = 0x002002c0
: >> Stopping execution
: >>
: >> My question is how far away are you form getting it to work
: >> and in what time frame could it be done?
: >>
: >> This is a bigger project for us. So it might even be possible
: >> ( nothing confirmed yet I have to check back with some people  )
: >> to donate some money to get it to work.
: >> It doesn't need to work for all Solaris. We just need Solaris 1.1.2.
: >> If someone needs some installation Medium or feedback let me know.
: >>
: >> Greetings
: >> Jan Holzhüter
: >>
: >>
: > This may be an openbios issue.  Changing openbios boot.c cdrom
: > oldpath to sd(0,2,0):d gets past this error but it still doesn't boot.
: >
: >
: >
: >
:
: SunOS might run in TME (http://people.csail.mit.edu/fredette/tme/). I
: don't think anything other than Linux runs in QEMU's Sun emulation (or
: for that matter, any of the non-PC QEMU emulators).

OpenFirmware that QEMU implements is somewhat insufficient to boot
anything but the hacked up version of Linux.

Warner