qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qemu/kvm upgrade fubars blu-ray access

From: Raj B Apte
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qemu/kvm upgrade fubars blu-ray access
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:27:57 -0700 (PDT)

hi all,

I've been vexed by a problem since upgrading to Ubuntu Hardy beta. In
Gutsy(2.6.22-14) I could use qemu/kvm to boot a virtual w2k guest. From
theguest I could run blu-ray apps with -cdrom /dev/scd0 pointing to myLiteOn
blu-ray drive.

kvm -no-acpi -m 512 -localtime -hda w2k.img -cdrom /dev/scd0

This worked under Gutsy even though neither w2k nor Gutsy couldunderstand UDF
2.5; I think the app I was running (slysoft's anydvd)had its own udf 2.5 driver.

Since upgrading to Hardy (2.6.24 ubuntu, or 2.6.25 vanilla)  this does not
work: the above command line isfine, and if I have anything other than a
blu-ray disk it is accessiblefrom the guest without any problem. But a blu-ray
disk now shows up as a 0 byte disk. I patched my kernel to understandudf 2.5
and I can see the blu-ray drive structure from Hardy just fine,which is why I
don't think this a revocation or other blu-ray relatedproblem. I'm not 100%
sure which versions of qemu are used in Gutsy and Hardy, but I noticed in the
changelog that cdrom functions were altered a few months ago--I guess whatever
happened then is part of the story. I compiled and installed 66 and the drive
is still "incorrect function".

What's odd to me is that if I boot Hardy but use the old kernel2.6.22-14,
presumably with the old kvm module, the vm still does not allowblu-ray access.
I don't know how this could be, since I thought most ofkvm/qemu is in the
kernel now. I guess the libs or whatnot are configuring the IO.

The error message in w2k is e:\ drive not accessible incorrectfunction. Many
people have this error when trying to access a RW mediumwhen the OS thinks its
RO. In the monitor, info block shows

ide1-cd0: type=cdrom removable=1 locked=0 file=/dev/scd0 ro=1 drv=host_device

Questions:

Is there a way to tell qemu/kvm to make ro=0?
Does drv=host_device enable pass-through of all commands, or does it block
some? this is a sata drive.
w2k sees "QEMU QEMU DVD-ROM" as the device type. can I change this to dvd+rw or
something else? if I want to install new drive firmware the device type should
be the manufacturer's name/model. how do I get qemu to pass the real device's
name. I don't think there are permissions problems (I have RW access on the
host to /dev/scd0).
Qemu does not seem to recognize my cdrom burner with a blank disk as
writeable--how to fix?

the same system (w2k/anydvd)  runs fine in vmware server (with blu-ray access).
but I really like the command-line and qemu/kvm and would hate to go back to
vmware.

thanks,
tek400

Be a better friend, newshound, and