qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Questions about qemu svn/git sync

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Questions about qemu svn/git sync
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 10:09:26 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

On Sat, 3 May 2008, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> Jun Ma wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Luca. I will switch to that repo, :).
>
> Its also possible to use git-svn to pull the qemu sources directly from
> SVN.
>
>   http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-svn.html
>   http://www.robbyonrails.com/articles/2008/04/10/git-svn-is-a-gateway-drug

That is a possibility, but if you want to avoid reimporting the Subversion
repository (*1*), you can start from what you got from repo.or.cz and
update it yourself, after adding these lines to .git/config:

[svn-remote "svn"]
        url = svn://svn.savannah.nongnu.org/qemu
        fetch = trunk:refs/remotes/trunk
        branches = branches/*:refs/remotes/*
        tags = tags/*:refs/remotes/tags/*

Of course, if you use HPA's repository to begin, you have to update the
appropriate refs first: git-svn expects the "trunk" branch to be named
"refs/remotes/trunk".  And HPA somehow maps that to the "master" branch
(and does not even bother with tags).

Ciao,
Dscho

*1* I wonder why it was deemed sensible by the QEmu powers to
"upgrade" from one crappy version control to another.  Whatever.