qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [4321] First cut at WM8750 volume control (Jan Kiszka).

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [4321] First cut at WM8750 volume control (Jan Kiszka).
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 19:31:23 +0200

andrzej zaborowski wrote:
> On 04/05/2008, Jan Kiszka <address@hidden> wrote:
>>  -#define NOVOL
>>  +//#define NOVOL
>>
>>   /* 8 bit */
>>   #define ENDIAN_CONVERSION natural
>>
>>  to make the MusicPal work out-of-the-box (muting is now broken again,
>>  causing loud noise during channel switches and while in suspended mode).
>
> Right, as I said you need to disable NOVOL manually if you want volume
> control.  Changing this would affect users of all machines of all
> architectures and until now everyone was fine with using the host
> mixer instead of software mixing in qemu.

Well, this is a weak argument. So far there was no alternative available.

I don't let you go with this ;): How should we find out what needs to be
fixed - given that hardly anyone is able to test on its own all the
supported boards with appropriate sound scenarios? What regressions are
you aware of when we switch NOVOL off? That's why I was asking for a
roadmap: If there are known one, then keep NOVOL set for those arch. But
we won't make progress if we just stick with "this was OK so far."

Jan