qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] NT4 white mouse pointer using Cirrus 5446 driver under

From: Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] NT4 white mouse pointer using Cirrus 5446 driver under 0.9.1
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 10:28:50 +0100

Carlos A. M. dos Santos wrote:

Can anyone explain why this is happening? I can provide some debug
information if people can point me in the right direction.

It seems that you are running out of colormap entries. Try to use 16
bits per pixel.

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the hint. I've tried 8bpp and 16bpp, but it doesn't make a difference at all :(

After some experimentation here, I'm wondering if it is some kind of quirk within the NT4 driver related to alignment issues within the qemu code. The server for this qemu instance is running 32-bit Debian etch with 0.9.1, and I always see a white pointer whenever I connect. Interestingly though, I temporarily mapped the NT4 partition to my local laptop which is 64-bit Debian lenny with 0.9.1, and the mouse pointer appears correctly! So it appears that this could be a 32/64-bit related issue?

On another note, I have now managed to get the mouse pointer appearing correctly on the original 32-bit server by using the ReactOS video drivers here: http://www.bearwindows.boot-land.net/vbemp.htm instead of the Cirrus drivers. Thus I have a found a cure that works for me, but it looks like I am not the only person to experience this issue: http://www.debian-administration.org/users/ajt/weblog/115.

ATB,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland