qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Rockbox Emulation

From: Salil Bijur
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Rockbox Emulation
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 14:08:47 +0530

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Taylor Killian
<address@hidden> wrote:
> As part of Google Summer of Code (http://code.google.com/soc/) I have
> been chosen (by rockbox [http://www.rockbox.org]) to improve ARM
> virtualization. I believe that QEMU has come the farthest in this
> field (correct me if I'm wrong). Basically I intend to add more
> hardware support for things like the LCD, ATA Controller, and other
> things that could be found on an mp3 player. My goal is to be able to
> run rockbox through QEMU as if it were running on the mp3 player
> itself, and also to be able to run the proprietary OS on it also.
>
> I have tried to run rockbox on QEMU just to see how far it would get.
> So far all it does is show a blank screen (I have confirmed that the
> arm-test works correctly). So I am wondering if the kernel is actually
> running or not. Is it possible that it is running, but not displaying
> anything because it is not emulating the correct LCD?
>
> Anyways, thanks for reading. Please let me know if you have any advice
> for me. I'll be happy to keep you informed on my progress,
>
> Taylor Killian

Hi,
Firstly I think what you need here is full system emulation using
qemu-system-arm. You will need to select an ARM machine (versatile,
integrator, realview, etc.) and decide which OS to run.

The kernel wont run if you aren't running qemu-system-arm with the
-kernel option.

Salil