qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] NT4 guest mouse failure under qemu 0.9.1

From: Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] NT4 guest mouse failure under qemu 0.9.1
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 13:02:02 +0100 (BST)

Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've noticed another failure within our qemu 0.9.1 NT4 guest with
> relation to the PS2 mouse driver. After several minutes of normal use,
> the mouse pointer suddenly goes mad, with the slightest touch of the
> mouse causing the pointer to go flying around the screen. The only
> solution to this problem is to reboot the VM instance :(
>
> Looking at the NT4 Event Log, I see the following messages when this
> occurs:
>
> An unexpected RESET was detected from the mouse device
>
> Followed by:
>
> Could not set the mouse sample rate
>
> The latter message is repeated in the event log when the mouse is moved
> until the VM is rebooted. Has anyone experienced this behaviour before?

Okay, I've investigated this a little bit more and far as I can tell, it
seems related to the intellimouse extensions. At least, if I force qemu to
emulate a standard PS/2 mouse (rather than an intellimouse), then I don't
see the problem with the mouse pointer. Perhaps the in-built MS NT4 mouse
driver is broken?

Would anyone be interested in a patch against 0.9.1 to add a new command
line option such as -forceps2mouse which would force this behaviour for
broken guests such as NT4?

ATB,

Mark.

--