qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: KQEMU code organization

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: KQEMU code organization
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 18:37:02 +0200

Jan Kiszka wrote:
Fabrice Bellard wrote:
Jan Kiszka wrote:
Hi,

is there a technical reason why the kqemu kernel module is built out of
a binary blob (monitor-image.bin->monitor-image.h)? Does this simply
date back to the time when wrapper and core were distributed under
different licenses?
This is a technical reason: the "blob" is run in an address space
different from the host kernel.

Well, easy to claim, I know, but I don't think this is a hard reason.
However, as overcoming genmon and genoffset may require quite some
refactoring, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

I may change the monitor blob format to ELF to allow relocation, but the idea stays the same, and I don't think you can do it another way...

For debugging purposes I meanwhile created my own build system anyway.
gdb fortunately accepts an monitor-image.out built with -g so that
source level debugging of the monitor is possible as well.

Right. This is what I do.

Fabrice.