qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Suggestion for testing framework

From: Balazs Attila-Mihaly \(Cd-MaN\)
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Suggestion for testing framework
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 13:59:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all

It seems that there is agreement that some sort of automated testing is "a good
thing" ;-). I'll have some free time in the next couple of days and plan on
throwing something like this together on a spare box. I was thinking along the
lines:

- several qemu images (one with Debian, one with Windows XP - I can get a free
student license for it, etc)
- a script does a checkout of the trunk, checks if the version number is
different from the last checkout (to avoid spamming the list :-))
- the script introduces the source in each VM, starts the VM and lets the
different compilers available in the VM (like gcc 3.3, 3.4, mingw) compile the
source
- if the compile fails, it collects the error logs
- if the compile succeeds, performance and functionality tests are run with the
resulting binary - the is the most nebulous part for the moment for me - if I
recall Fabrice said that compiling something inside a VM is a good performance
test...
- results are sumitted to the list - if you are ok with that, I wouldn't want
to spam the list

Please comment if you find the testing methodology good and what performance
and functionality test should the process include...

Best regards.

Sent from Yahoo! Mail.