qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Disabling outgoing connectiong from within guest

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Disabling outgoing connectiong from within guest
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 13:41:46 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008, Paul Brook wrote:

> On Wednesday 18 June 2008, Łukasz Taczuk wrote:
>
> > I would like to create a sandboxed environment in which random users
> > would be able to roam freely using ssh. However, I don't want to allow
> > them to open outgoing connections just as if the box was offline (even
> > if the guest is compromised). Basically I would like to have something
> > like reversed user mode network stack: you can log in to the guest,
> > but once you're in, you cannot connect to the host nor any other
> > machine.
>
> Your host OS firewall/packet filter should already be able to do this.
> IMHO there's little or no point reimplementing this functionality in
> qemu.

Except that Lukasz wrote about users in the sandboxed environment, not all
users of the _host_ machine.

So there is obviously a point in implementing this in QEmu, _especially_
when you use a proprietary guest OS which you cannot fully trust.

Lukasz: I have had the need myself, and have some crude code to do that.
If you want to use it as a starting point, and want to develop it into
something really usable, give me a shout and I send you my patch.

Ciao,
Dscho