qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] "A disk read error occurred"

From: Alexander (Sasha) Sirotkin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] "A disk read error occurred"
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 00:37:06 +0300

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 2:05 AM, Jamie Lokier <address@hidden> wrote:
> Avi Kivity wrote:
>> Alexander (Sasha) Sirotkin wrote:
>> >For some reason when I try to boot qemu with -hda /dev/sda (or -hda
>> >/dev/hda), i.e. to use the whole disk, it fails with the above error
>> >"A disk read error occurred". This happens only on IBM/Lenovo laptops
>> >(tried a few models), while it works just fine on any desktop I can
>> >get my hands on. Probably has something to do with bios...
>> >

>> Can you add some printfs displaying the sector numbers being read?  Some
>> disks have trouble accessing the last sector.
There are no printfs, no sector numbers, nothing. Just the above error.

>> Also, an strace can help show the problem.
The whole strace is too big, attaching last 1000 lines

> Also, sometimes when booting the BIOS can print a disk read error
> message, and an appropriate -hdachs will fix it.  I found that out
> when rebooting Windows 2000 after installing it from CD (both in
> QEMU), on a virtual disk 1GB in size.

I must say that I don't understand what chs values I should give to
qemu. hdparm  shows 9729/255/63, but fdisk insists on 10337,240,63.
Both versions do not work with qemu, it says "invalid physical CHS
format"
BTW, hdparm -i shows yet another version - RawCHS=16383/16/63

BTW, the disk is HTS541080G9SA00