qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] ARM test generator

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] ARM test generator
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 14:26:43 +0100

On Tuesday 08 July 2008, Laurent Desnogues wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this is a very simple test generator for ARM.
>
> The aim is to help test instruction correctness since several people
> already noticed some problems, that are not always easy to
> reproduce in the absence of test infrastructure (a big word for such
> a simple thing).

I suggest creating a separate project for this.

I'm unconvinced how much value this actually adds unless you can get fairly
extensive coverage.  i.e. the interesting bit is how you generate
test-arm.txt and test-ref.txt. You should also cover different combinations
of overlapping source/destination operands.

I wrote reasonably extensive self-checking tests for a subset of NEON. However
it ended up a bit of a mess, needs rewriting (probably in something other
than C), doesn't cover some of the hard instructions, and the input generator
needs a lot of improvement.  I've attached it for reference.

GCC also has a set of tests for the NEON compiler intrinsics.  We've
considered augmenting those to be runtime tests.

Paul