qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [4952] Add e1000 etherboot ROM fromhttp://www.rom-o-mat

From: Sebastian Herbszt
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [4952] Add e1000 etherboot ROM fromhttp://www.rom-o-matic.net
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 17:01:31 +0200

Anthony Liguori wrote:

Add e1000 etherboot ROM from http://www.rom-o-matic.net

unlike the other available images (pcnet, rtl8139, ...) this one seems to be a "legacy" (non-PnP) option rom. Any reason for this?

Not that I know of. Does this cause a problem in some way? I tested PXE boot and it seemed to work quite happily. I'll reconfigure the ROM if there's a compelling reason to do so though.

If i use "qemu -L pc-bios -hda disk.img -net nic,model=pcnet -boot n"
the VM will start from network using pxe-pcnet.bin option rom.
This option rom is a PnP option rom so it does not hook any interrupts.
The bochs bios does detect it and use it's BEV to start. It is also possible
to select this option rom from the boot menu.

If i use "qemu -L pc-bios -hda disk.img -net nic,model=e1000 -boot n"
the VM will also start from network. Since this option rom is a legacy rom
(no PnP header present) it does hook int 19h. It does not appear in the
boot menu and it is not possible to override "-boot n" using the boot menu
since int 19h is hooked.

With "qemu -L pc-bios -hda disk.img -net nic,model=pcnet -option-rom
pxe-pcnet.bin"
it is possible to boot from network by using the boot menu when needed and else
it defaults to booting from hdd.

With "qemu -L pc-bios -hda disk.img -net nic,model=e1000 -option-rom
pxe-e1000.bin"
it it not possible to do the same since the option rom is a legacy rom.

I have created an option rom for the e1000 with default rom-o-matic parameters:
http://www.rom-o-matic.net/etherboot/etherboot-5.4.3/contrib/rom-o-matic/build.php?
version=5.4.3&F=&arch=i386&nic=e1000%3Ae1000-82540em+--+%5B0x8086%2C0x100e%5D
&ofmt=Binary+ROM+Image%28.zrom%29&A=Get+ROM

With "qemu -L pc-bios -hda disk.img -net nic,model=e1000 -option-rom
eb-5.4.3-e1000-82540em.zrom"
it is possible to achieve what currently is possible with pxe-pcnet.bin and it
does
also work with using "-boot n".

- Sebastian