qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] AMD 100% CPU bug; patch available?

From: David Barrett
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] AMD 100% CPU bug; patch available?
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 13:31:47 -0700

Aha, figured it out.  The tip was in dmesg on the guest:

DMI not present or invalid.
ACPI: RSDP signature @ 0xC00FB010 checksum 0
ACPI: RSDP 000FB010, 0014 (r0 QEMU  )
ACPI: RSDT 07FF0000, 002C (r1 QEMU QEMURSDT 1 QEMU 1) ACPI: FACP 07FF002C, 0074 (r1 QEMU QEMUFACP 1 QEMU 1)
ACPI: DSDT 07FF0100, 0832 (r1   BXPC   BXDSDT        1 INTL 20061
109)
ACPI: FACS 07FF00C0, 0040
ACPI: APIC 07FF0938, 0040 (r1 QEMU QEMUAPIC 1 QEMU ACPI: no DMI BIOS year, acpi=force is required to enable ACPI
ACPI: Disabling ACPI support

Adding acpi=force to the kernel boot line fixed it up.

(Though strangely, even after adding acpi=force to the kernel boot line, it still dumps this exact same message -- odd. At least the problem went away.)

Thanks for the help!

-david

Rick Vernam wrote:
I'm not so sure there is such a bug - I've been running qemu on AMD 3700 laptop for years w/o that, or much of any other issue (except once upon a time an ACPI issue w/ windows guest causing host cpu to peg 100%).
I run gentoo host + various windows/linux guests.

points of interest may (or may not) be details such as host kernel configuration? qemu version? qemu options used? built yourself or pre-packaged? I don't claim to be able to help you solve the problem, but there's not much here to work with...