qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] pty/tty functions for BSD too

From: Bernhard Reutner-Fischer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] pty/tty functions for BSD too
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 13:40:29 +0200

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 01:21:27PM +0200, François Revol wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 09:08:50PM +0300, Blue Swirl wrote:
>>
>> >Glibc uses an internal PATH_MAX buffer. If the name does not fit,
>> > the
>> >buffer will be doubled in size:
>> >http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/libc/login/openpty.c?rev=1.8&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=glibc
>> > > >
>> >But in practice the pty will be allocated using getpt(), which uses
>>
>> They, too, should switch to posix_openpt(), fwiw.
>
>Please don't start dictating what an OS should have or not, or this

I'm not talking about an OS but a libc that should try to use standard
conforming functions where possible. Whether or not they provide the
non-standard getpt() for legacy applications is not the question.

A libc that is POSIX.1-2001 compliant has to provide posix_openpt()
anyway, thus it doesn't make too much sense to use the non-standard
getpt() but i guess nobody cared enough to adjust glibc yet.

>will turn into ffmpeg-like porting flames.
>It's not about porting all OSes to QEMU, but porting QEMU to OSes :P

Well, i talked about glibc interna, not QEMU interna, so my comment was
a bit OT, admittedly ;)