qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] MIPS kernel hanging when loaded through U-Boot in qemu

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] MIPS kernel hanging when loaded through U-Boot in qemu
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 09:25:11 +0200

Le Thu, 28 Aug 2008 11:00:42 +0200,
Thomas Petazzoni <address@hidden> a écrit :

> It always hangs around the same place, but not exactly. Sometimes
> after "PID hash table entries", sometimes after "Console: colour dummy
> devices", sometimes one or two messages later, or before.

It seems to hang when the first interrupt occurs, which might explain
why it hangs at a random place, but always around the same point.

I've added a small debug message in target-mips/helper.c:do_interrupt()
to see what's happening:
 http://toulibre.org/~thomas/qemu/qemu-interrupt-log-patch

With just the kernel (booted with -kernel), everything is fine, we see
a couple of interrupt of type "interrupt", and the boot proceeds:
 http://toulibre.org/~thomas/qemu/qemu-interrupt-log-kernel-only

But with U-Boot, once the first interrupt of type "interrupt" is fired,
it is followed by an interrupt of type "syscall", and then of type
"interrupt" again, and so on and so on, indefinitely:
 http://toulibre.org/~thomas/qemu/qemu-interrupt-log-with-u-boot

As I'm not a MIPS expert, I don't know what's happening here. Is it a
bug in U-Boot that leaves an incorrect CPU state ? Is it a Qemu
emulation problem ?

Thanks,

Thomas
--