qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] user emulation status?

From: Tomasz Chmielewski
Subject: [Qemu-devel] user emulation status?
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 22:28:54 +0200

According to the list of supported guest OSes on http://bellard.org/qemu/status.html, these architectures have "OK/green" status for user emulation:

x86, ARM, SPARC, PPC, MIPS, m68k, SH-4.

If these architectures are really fully supported by Qemu, it should be possible to run a chroot of another architecture (i.e. on x86 we chroot to ARM base filesystem/pcakages).

I thought I'd give it a try, with current Qemu SVN, by installing Debian for different architectures with debootstrap command (debootstrap allows to install base filesystem/packages).

Debian Etch supports ARM, SPARC, PPC and MIPS, so I only tested those on x86 PC.

Results:

1. ARM - support is really great.
debootstrap installs base filesystem/packages without any errors in an ARM chroot made on x86 PC.
It's even possible to start some GUI applications.

2. MIPS - support is not so great.
It's not possible to install a base filesystem.
Chrooting from x86 to an already existing MIPS filesystem works, but lots of commands just break (i.e., dpkg exits with "Invalid argument"; some stracing reveals more details).

3. PPC
Chrooting from x86 to a PPC filesystem ends with a segmentation fault.

4. SPARC
Chrooting from x86 to a SPARC filesystem works, but it's only possible to start one command. After that, qemu-sparc process dies with HELPME... (I used the default --sparc_cpu).

Are you people interested in running processes in a foreign chroot (i.e. ARM chroot on x86 PC)?

I wanted to set up some daily automated tests which would fetch current SVN, build for ARM, MIPS, PPC and SPARC targets, try to install Debian with debootstrap in a chroot.

So far I see though, that only ARM would get "OK" result, MIPS would get "partial"; PPC and SPARC would fail.

Does it make sense to trace it on a daily basis?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org