qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] Disk integrity in QEMU

From: Ryan Harper
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] Disk integrity in QEMU
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 09:32:54 -0500

* Kevin Wolf <address@hidden> [2008-10-14 05:10]:
> Ryan Harper schrieb:
> > * Laurent Vivier <address@hidden> [2008-10-13 13:52]:
> >> What file type do you use (qcow2, raw ?).
> >
> > Raw.
>
> I guess the image is preallocated? What about sparse files (or qcow2,
> anything that grows), do have numbers on those? In the past, I
> experienced O_DIRECT to be horribly slow on them.
>
> Well, looking at your numbers, they _are_ quite bad, so maybe it
> actually was sparse. Then the preallocated case would be interesting.

It was pre-allocated.  I'm incliding to think there is an alignment or
some sort of bug/edge-case in the write path to the file on top of the
lvm volume considering I don't see such horrible performance against the
file in host via O_DIRECT.  I imagine until I figure out the issue,
sparse or preallocated will perform the same.

--
Ryan Harper
IBM Corp., Austin, Tx