qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Disk integrity in QEMU

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Disk integrity in QEMU
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:32:35 -0500

Avi Kivity wrote:
I don't think O_DIRECT should be qemu's default, since anyone using qemu
directly is likely a "causal virtualization" user.  Management systems
like ovirt should definitely default to O_DIRECT (really, they shouldn't
even offer caching).

ovirt isn't a good example because the default storage model is iSCSI. Since you aren't preserving zero-copy, I doubt that you'll see any advantage to using O_DIRECT (I suspect the code paths aren't even different).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori