qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] vga optmization

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] vga optmization
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 08:52:43 -0600

Avi Kivity wrote:
Stefano Stabellini wrote:
Why don't you make qemu_physical_sync_dirty_bitmap take also and end
address, and you merge the two bitmaps in this address range in this
function, so you don't have to change cpu_physical_memory_get_dirty at
all?

I am saying to do something like:

void qemu_physical_sync_dirty_bitmap(ram_addr_t start_addr, ram_addr_t end_addr)
{
    /* sync and merge the two bitmaps between start_addr and end_addr */
}

then leave cpu_physical_memory_get_dirty untouched.
I would prefer this approch, it also leaves more space to other
optimizations.

That's how current kvm userspace works. It's also more correct, since the kvm bitmap feeds both the vga dirty bits and the live migration dirty bits.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing myself.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori