qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QCOW2 multiple disk (not VM) snapshots

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QCOW2 multiple disk (not VM) snapshots
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 14:46:20 -0600

Kevin Wolf wrote:
Hi Mike,

Mike Sun schrieb:
For a research project, we've been doing a bit of hacking with Xen and
utilize QCOW disk images as our VBDs. One intriguing thing about the
QCOW2 format was support for multiple disk snapshots. Unfortunately,
it seems from what I've been able to glean that support for multiple
snapshots within a QCOW2 image is really only supported by QEMU's VM
snapshot feature. Since I'm using Xen and only use QCOW2 disk images,
I was wondering if there was any way from a tool such as 'qemu-img' to
take snapshots of the QCOW2 disk image only and not through the
general QEMU VM snapshot?

You can try the attached patch to qemu-img. I had it already for list,
delete and apply (as that's what I've needed so far), and I just added
create to it to make it complete. However, I didn't test it more than
making sure that it compiles and a new snapshot is listed afterwards.

If you're interested in having real snapshots with Xen, i.e. basically a
combination of xm save/restore and qemu-img snapshot, I also have some
patches to do that. They have quite a few dependencies, though, so they
are not yet upstream.

Care to resubmit with a proper Signed-off-by line? Seems like a useful feature.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Kevin