qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [5954] linux-user: Move abi_* typedefs into qemu-types.

From: Stuart Brady
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [5954] linux-user: Move abi_* typedefs into qemu-types.h
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 22:40:03 +0000

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 06:12:04PM +0000, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> linux-user: Move abi_* typedefs into qemu-types.h

> Added Paths:
> -----------
>     trunk/bsd-user/qemu-types.h
>     trunk/linux-user/qemu-types.h

Sorry if I'm a little late with this comment, but might it be better
if bsd-user and linux-user emulation shared the same header, here?
(It seems likely that any changes would have to be made to both files,
and there might be the possibility of other user emulation targets
appearing in the future.)

BTW, it does seem strange to me that the types are named 'target_long'
and 'abi_long'.  The 'long' type would seem to me to be an ABI concept
by definition, so I would have expected target_long to match the target
ABI's long type, and something with a name similar to target_word to
refer to the target CPU's 'word size' (whatever that really means...)

I guess the approach that was taken was to replace target_longs with
abi_longs in the relatively small number of places where abi_longs were
needed, as the other approach would have been much more disruptive...

Cheers,
--
Stuart Brady