qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [6023] Use a hex value instead of possibly ambiguous 8

From: M. Warner Losh
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [6023] Use a hex value instead of possibly ambiguous 8 bit character
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 09:10:43 -0700 (MST)

In message: <address@hidden>
            Erik de Castro Lopo <address@hidden> writes:
: Johannes Schindelin wrote:
:
: > I vote against using isprint(c).  The code is simple as it is, otherwise
: > you'd have to look up what isprint() does, _and_ rely on isprint() being
: > present.
: >
: > I know, there are many people on this list who are all too happy to rely
: > on new-fangled C99 stuff or lock themselves (and others) in with GCCisms.
: > Peronally, though, I find it utterly stupid to do that unless you really
: > have to.
:
: isprint is part of C89 and any compiler less than 20 years old should
: support it.

isprint() also was in many K&R compilers, but that was system
dependent.  The VAX I used in college in 1985 had it, as did the 'C'
compiler for my DEC Rainbow and the TOPS-20 C compiler written at my
university...

Warner