qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [6064] Implement device tree support needed for Bamboo

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [6064] Implement device tree support needed for Bamboo emulation
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 12:30:23 +0000

> To implement the -kernel, -initrd, and -append options, 4xx board emulation
> must load the guest kernel as if firmware had loaded it. Where u-boot would
> be the firmware, we must load the flat device tree into memory and set key
> fields such as /chosen/bootargs.

Then why is it optional?

> This patch introduces a dependency on libfdt for flat device tree support.

I don't like the way this is done.

AFAIK libfdt isn't present in any of the major distros. I thought the
conclusion was that we should import libfdt into qemu.

Certainly adding libfdt_env.h, which is never used, seems very wrong. I'm
pretty sure this won't build on win32 either.

Paul