qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: gdbstub: packet reply is too long

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: gdbstub: packet reply is too long
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 22:00:31 +0100

Paul Brook wrote:
>>> I'm trying to debug a 32bit (i386) kernel on a 64bit host under kvm, but
>>> gdb always refuses it with:
>
>> QEMU and also KVM's x86_64 version are currently broken /wrt debugging
>> targets < 64 bits. I've posted a fix a while ago, but there were
>> concerns that gdb should better be enhanced (which is basically true,
>> but unrealistic to achieve in the near future).
>
> I still maintain that making the g packet format depend on the current CPU
> more is absolutely the wrong way to fix this.

From a higher perspective, it is surely not the cleanest approach. But
it still appears to be the only one which helps us working around this
gdb shortcoming.

There are internal issues in gdb (hard coupling of current and target
arch) that will not allow this to be fixed in the near future, check the
code (or my posting I sent out last month). Moreover, this only restores
qemu to a state that it used to have for quite a while. I really wonder
why we should voluntarily break this support for the users.

Jan