qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Merging improvements from VirtualBox OSE into qemu?

From: Frank Mehnert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Merging improvements from VirtualBox OSE into qemu?
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 22:12:02 +0100

On Wednesday 24 December 2008, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Sharing implies a two-way exchange.  In reality, VirtualBox has taken a
> bunch of QEMU code and AFAIK has not shared any of their changes back
> with the QEMU community.  They are completely entitled to do this of
> course based on the licensing of QEMU.

Sorry, that is not true. We have taken several parts of Qemu and all
changes we did to the code are available on our public SVN (e.g. slirp,
recompiler, some devices).

> Some of their most interesting changes (like SATA emulation, rewritten
> USB emulation) remain available only in their closed source version.  I
> find that extremely unfortunate because that would be some of the
> easiest and most useful code to try to merge from their project.

Some of these parts might be available under GPL in the future.

Kind regards,

Frank
--
Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert    Sun Microsystems    http://www.sun.com/