qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Ongoing changes to the displaying code

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Ongoing changes to the displaying code
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:57:04 +0200

Ian Jackson wrote:
Avi Kivity writes ("Re: [Qemu-devel] Ongoing changes to the displaying code"):
Instant messaging clients seem to have solved this without resorting to multiple processes.

Multiple processes are not a `resort'.  And of course an IM client
needs to do a lot less than qemu, and the things that it does do are
much less hairy.

In terms of not shutting down the app when the close button is pressed, a good single process solution exists. I agree that qemu's usage of signals is problematic. Perhaps switching to real-time signals instead of SIGALRM and SIGIO will help.

Any other hairy things in qemu?

I think that's a better route to go for this sort of thing. If you think it's generally useful, I think it'd also be worthwhile to host within the QEMU project. I just don't think it's the right thing to add into QEMU directly.
Or it could be done as a separate executable that links to a libqemu.so; the standard qemu binary could be implemented the same way.

I'm not sure how well qemu's processing model will fit in with GUI
toolkits.  I wouldn't trust Qt and Gtk not to make expectations which
are reasonable in a `general purpose' program but not sensible in
qemu's context.

You would run qemu and the gui in different threads. If the signal problem is resolved, I don't see any other issues.