qemu-devel

RE: [Qemu-devel] Small powerpc system emulation problem with linux

From: laurent
Subject: RE: [Qemu-devel] Small powerpc system emulation problem with linux
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 17:41:19 +0100

[...]
>Debian tried to isntall the quik boot loader for oldworld mac's since
>that is what /proc/cpuinfo in linux claims to see, even though powermac
>g3 blue&white boxes (I have one here) is newworld, as are all powermac's

qemu emulates now by default a G3 beige (Silk), which is oldworld.

>using openfirmware 3.  newworld systems should use yaboot, but of course
>the installer had not setup the partitions for yaboot since it didn't
>see a newworld machine, and yaboot's installer refused to run since it
>wasn't a newworld machine.  quik boot's installer also refused to run
>since it wasn't a supported oldworld machine either.

In last openbios, I've managed to be able to boot with quik. But
debian-installer doesn't create a correct quik.conf.

[...]

>So the main problems seem to be that the openbios firmware doesn't
>include an entry for 'interrupt-controller' which is the entry the linux
>kernel looks for to device a machine is newworld rather than oldworld in
>the powermac setup.  The other is that debian's yaboot is out of date.

As qemu emulates a newworld machine, openbios doesn't create an entry for
interrupt-controller.

>The yaboot problem is being worked on.
>
>So now I am wondering what has to be done to make qemu appear as a
>newworld mac, since that is what the machine it claims to emulate is.
>Is this simply a mistake in openbios for qemu or does qemu actually
>emulate oldworld to some extent?

use qemu with "-M mac99". But for the moment it doesn't support openbios.

>I tried adding an entry for 'interrupt-controller' following the pearpc
>code in openbios, but that just resulted in a failure to boot the linux

Bad Idea...

>kernel, probably because it tried to access the machine as a newworld
>box, and couldn't find something it needed.  I wish I knew how to dump
>the openfirmware tree on the real powermac g3 to see what it has
>compared to what qemu with openbios currently sees.

lsprop /proc/device-tree

Regards,
Laurent