qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Cutting a new QEMU release

From: Rick Vernam
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Cutting a new QEMU release
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 09:36:49 -0600

On Thursday 05 February 2009 8:26:04 am Anthony Liguori wrote:
> kqemu is unsupported and unmaintained.
Interesting.  When did it fall into that status?
The Maintainers file shows Fabrice as the maintainer of kqemu.  I suppose that
needs to be updated?

I see Fabrice released 1.4.0pre1 on May 30th, 2008, although I never did see
anything declaring it unsupported (I'm not suggesting it was never declared,
just that I never saw any such declaration).

Are there any plans to support it in the future?  This really is quite a shock
to me, actually.  I know qemu has a wide range of uses - but for me and surely
others, virtualization is a primary use.  To the best of my knowledge, kvm
requires hardware support - where does this leave the class of users who need
virtualization & don't have hardware virtualization support?  Are we no longer
the a target audience of qemu?  If not, fine, but apparently a statement needs
to be made...

Also, I had considered the web site at http://bellard.org/qemu/ to be
accurate.  Perhaps something should be done prior to a release so that those
who browse to the site know that:
1 - the site is not an accurate source of information
or
2 - kqemu is no longer supported or maintained

Thanks
-Rick