[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cutting a new QEMU release

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cutting a new QEMU release
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 15:36:37 -0600
User-agent: Thunderbird (X11/20090105)

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 14:48 -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
What do people think? TCG seems to be in a good place. We've got virtio, KVM, live migration, tons of new devices, bsd-user, etc.

We could decide to cut one by the end of the month. I'm already doing some test work in QEMU so I can follow up with some more detailed notes about what is working and what isn't working. That gives us some time to decide if there's anything we need to fix before a release.

Sounds great to me.

>From a Fedora perspective, qemu-0.9.1 is a year old and upstream has
moved on a lot. As a package maintainer, it's hard to justify caring too
much about bugs reported against 0.9.1, since the bug is likely to have
very little relevance to the latest upstream.

Also, it would be really nice to have a kvm-userspace based off a solid
qemu release ... qemu moving so fast is great, but it means it's hard to
predict the stability of a given kvm-userspace release.

Some questions:

- Will there be a period before the release when only bug fixes are merged?

It's a good idea, but it may be hard to pull off practically speaking for the first release. Let's see how it works out.

  - Will there be a release candidate?

Sometime this week, I'll try to post something summarizing our current state and anything outstanding. If there's time to put out an -rc, I'll try to make one available. Things may hiccup a bit.

  - Is there any missing features that we might push out the release
    date for?

Personally, I don't think so. I think openbios was the biggest issue because we don't have the code for the current firmware. It looks like that's been almost resolved. I'm more interested in getting a release out in a timely manner than holding up for any particular feature.

If we have lots of features going in, I'd rather do more frequent releases than hold up releases.

- Post-release, is there any interest in maintaining a stable branch until the next release?

I am tempted to try it out.  Let's see how it goes.

  - The plan for the next release is roughly 6 months, yes?



Anthony Liguori


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]