qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Qemu 2D performance plunges below acceptable levels

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Qemu 2D performance plunges below acceptable levels
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 17:16:01 +0000

> Also I don't how to explain the fact that SDL_Flip is faster than
> SDL_UpdateRect on MacOSX according to malc: the same libsdl macosx faq I
>  linked before claims that SDL_DOUBLEBUF is not even supported on MacOsX.

I guess it's possible that under a sufficiently lame implementation a partial
update could be slower than an update of the whole screen. e.g. if your
accelerated blit routines isn't capable of copying rectangular regions you
have to do the partial update a line at a time, whereas a full update is a
single blit operation. Seems a fairly unlikely corner case though, especially
as we tend to update a whole number of lines.

Paul