qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How are we looking for a release?

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How are we looking for a release?
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 11:15:50 +0100

On 01.03.2009, at 18:41, Andreas Färber <address@hidden> wrote:

Am 27.02.2009 um 19:55 schrieb Anthony Liguori:

The current cocoa implementation is extremely difficult to maintain. I'd really like to see it deprecated in favor of SDL

I understand that it is difficult to maintain for someone not running OSX, and I am okay with fixing it ourselves like in this case. Didn't you propose to add a native Gtk+ frontend yourself?

I don't see any issues with keeping it in the tree, as long as there are contributors fixing it, which is currently the case.

I could understand if you were thinking of dropping it because nobody cares, but please don't drop code just because.

([...] 64-bit OS X--but does that even exist today?).

It does exist, and I'm running on it. Mac OS X v10.4 had 64-bit support for non-graphical apps, v10.5 added Cocoa support.

SDL 1.2.13 is a ppc+i386 Universal Binary only. It is a Mach-O Framework and does not include an sdl-config tool, so it is not detected by QEMU's configure. You would use it through -framework SDL rather than `sdl-config --libs`. I have no further knowledge about SDL on Mac OS X other than that it was not installed on my system. But in order to extend QEMU to a real graphical frontend the choice is certainly the native Cocoa API.

It's even worse than that. I have a working SDL compilation on my Mac that runs for 32 bit target mode. But as far as I'm aware of it, there is no x86_64 SDL available, because Apple dropped some APIs in 64 bit mode.

So while you could theoretically build qemu with SDL on osx-i386, there is no way you could on osx-x86_64 atm.

Originally I was using Q, a Cocoa frontend patched into QEMU 0.9.0 CVS. Shortly after we updated it for 0.9.1, they reorganized the project for Q2 and imported some version of QEMU into their SVN tree, decoupling Q from QEMU SVN trunk. Development seems to have stalled since then. So currently, QEMU's basic Cocoa frontend is the only way to use a graphical QEMU on Mac OS X to my knowledge.

With the recent vnc enhancements it might make sense to write a ui app decoupled from qemu that does basically what libvirt/virtman does.

But I'm not exactly a UI developer, so I'll leave the fun to you :).

Alex