qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] XP guest specifics

From: Allen Meyers
Subject: [Qemu-devel] XP guest specifics
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 07:09:59 -0500

While instructions below are as specific as I have encountered would appreciate someone helping a 77 year old with comprehension challenges. I have a dual boot Debian Lenny and Ubuntu 8.10 no windows, but a legal disk XP.
  1. Install QEMU:
    apt-get install qemu The terminal command is self explanatory
  2. Create a (resizable) image which will hold Windows XP. The installer chokes if the image is smaller than 1.2 GB or so, but that's not too much of a problem; the "qcow" image format will only take up as much space as is really needed, so the image will be very small in the beginning (not 1.2 GB big!). I need specifics here is this the second terminal command?
    qemu-img create -f qcow /path/to/xp.cow 1300M
  3. Insert the install CD, and install Windows in the QEMU image:
    qemu -hda /path/to/xp.cow -boot d -cdrom /dev/cdrom -m 384 -localtime I assume this is path or location within the image the terminal command created, but when CD is inserted is it directed there or what is it I must do?
  4. Wait.
  5. After the install has finished, shut down the QEMU/Windows; from now on you can boot it (without having to insert the CD anymore) with:
    qemu -hda /path/to/xp.cow -boot c -m 384 -localtime -k de -usb
  6. Note VM like Linux has been an adventure for me and I never could have even reached this level without the resources of lists like this and it goes without saying thank you

--
Allen Meyers
address@hidden

The ability to comfortably use a computer is directly proportional to desire to listen, learn, and experiment, and is inversely proportional to the fear, anger, and stubbornness that you show.