qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Random thought about qemu-user and Windows

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Random thought about qemu-user and Windows
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 23:50:15 +0000

Paul Brook wrote:
> - qemu-user only supports a very small subset of systems. e.g. it's
> no use for linux->windows cross builds, which I expect to be the
> most common case

Hmm...  I wonder how much would be required to emulate just the
Windows system calls (used by normal applications)?  I.e. the same way
qemu-user emulates the Linux and BSD system calls used by normal apps.

WINE does this, of course, but WINE is much bigger than that - it
replaces all the Windows userspace libraries.  That's much bigger than
just kernel behaviour.  I wonder how big the part needed just for
Windows system calls would be.

-- Jamie