qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Is there another option to create virtualization?

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Is there another option to create virtualization?
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 13:58:55 +0100

Am 22.03.2009 um 13:01 schrieb Allen Meyers:

First off is my understanding correct in that gemu can offer the facility in a generated file that will serve as a container for my
virtualised Windows. (the virtual machine will see this file as its hard
drive.
Right or wrong so far?

You can use the `qemu-img` tool to create a file for the virtual harddrive. To the virtual machine, it will look like a real harddrive, so that you can install anything on it you could on a real harddrive, including Microsoft Windows. This 'container' does not contain configuration data of your VM though, just the disk contents.

Mind you I am not to trusting of my comprehension at this point in my reading.
Something about creating  "qemu.img" in the current directory. This file
will contain nothing but zeroes  (that really lost me)

If you use the raw, uncompressed format then for, e.g., a 4 GB virtual harddrive it will create a 4 GB file containing zeroes. This is similar to buying a new harddrive, which usually is empty (zeroed).

Once you've prepared such a drive image, you can boot the virtual machine and let the VM install the operating system from an installation medium (e.g., Windows DVD) to the drive image. This obviously is only necessary once; starting with the next boot, the VM can boot from the disk image.

HTH,
Andreas

If anyone out there can make sense of my enigma and point me to additional resource material
I would appreciate it.

--
Allen Meyers
address@hidden

The ability to comfortably use a computer is directly proportional to desire to listen, learn, and experiment, and is inversely proportional to the fear, anger, and stubbornness that you show.