qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [6989] Fix display breakage when resizing the screen (v

From: Stefano Stabellini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [6989] Fix display breakage when resizing the screen (v2) (Avi Kivity)
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 18:35:58 +0100

Avi Kivity wrote:

>>> Secondly it doesn't follow the basic idea behind the DisplayState
>>> surface: it is supposed to be a pixel surface provided by the vga
>>> emulator to the frontends, cirrus shouldn't have to care what size it
>>> is.
>>> In fact cirrus emulates bitblit operations on the emulated framebuffer,
>>> not on the DisplayState surface; if it does so is a bug and should be
>>> fixed.
>>>
>> This happens through cirrus_do_copy(), which implies that the display
>> surface is involved.  Is that wrong?
>
> I think what you're saying is, we shouldn't call qemu_console_copy() in
> cirrus_do_copy() if vga is not displayed on the console?
>
> (and conversely, if it is displayed, we shouldn't call
> cirrus_invalidate_region).

I tried several times to manually reproduce the issue with no luck: if
no vnc clients are supposed to be connected, how do you make the cirrus
emulated hw do a bitblit?

In any case it makes sense that the problem is in qemu_console_copy()
rather than in the rop function itself that only operates on the
emulated framebuffer.
But calling qemu_console_copy() in cirrus_do_copy() shouldn't be risky
because before that, we call vga_hw_update() that should do the resize.

Without a better understanding of the bug I will refrain from making any
suggestion.