qemu-devel

Re: [libvirt] Re: [Qemu-devel] Changing the QEMU svn VERSION string

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [libvirt] Re: [Qemu-devel] Changing the QEMU svn VERSION string
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 08:52:46 -0500

Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 10:10:20AM +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
  Hi,

I'd like to update the VERSION string in QEMU's svn tree. Right now,
it's 0.10.0 and since we have a 0.10.2 release, that's somewhat confusing.

I don't want to make it 0.11.0 either because that's not going to be
reliable from a feature detection perspective. What I would like is to
make it 0.11.0-devel or something similar to that.
Maybe 0.10.99 ? Or 0.10.90, leaving the door open to number the 0.11 beta / rc versions (if any) 0.10.9{1,2,3}?

  Concur, we have no good way of representing something like 0.11.0-devel
from an rpm Name-Version-Release and be sure it won't  break down the
road if we change our mind on the final naming scheme, while something
like 0.10.90 convey the intent while still being compatible with the
existing numbering scheme (plus it eventually forces you to release the
new version ;-)

I think that's going to lead to even more confusion. While I'm inclined to not greatly mind 0.10.99 for the development tree, when we do release candidates for the next release, it's going to be 0.11.0-rc1. I don't expect RPMs to ever be created from non-release versions of QEMU provided we stick to our plan of frequent releases.

I still think libvirt should work with versions of QEMU/KVM built from svn/git though. I think the only way to do that is for libvirt to relax their version checks to accommodate suffixes in the form major.minor.stable-foo.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Daniel