qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] REMINDER: QEMU SVN => GIT switch today at 5pm CST

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] REMINDER: QEMU SVN => GIT switch today at 5pm CST
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 16:10:18 -0500

On Friday 24 April 2009 12:56:19 Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 07:18:00PM +0200, Fran??ois Revol wrote:
> > At least hg was easy to port to BeOS (still had to change some lines
> > due to people using #!/usr/bin/env python to locate python and just
> > moving the issue to env itself...)
> > Still I don't like much those hashes around, and I always need to dig
> > the gitweb 10min just to get to the source tree...
>
> No, you check it out using git.  Why ever would you use gitweb to get
> a source tree?  That's just nuts.  Gitweb is a viewing tool, it is not
> a place to actually checkout from.

It's an easy mistake for mercurial users to make, because under mercurial the
human-friendly web viewer URL and the checkout URL are the same thing.

Git has to set up two different servers at two different locations, and
doesn't always make the relationship between them easy to work out.  (I've
never understood why they did that.)

He might mean he has to spend ten minutes fiddling with the gitweb to figure
out what the checkout URL _is_.  (In extreme cases they're not even on the
same server...)

Rob