qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Switch to GIT. Why?

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Switch to GIT. Why?
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 09:20:59 +0200

Hi,

Am 26.04.2009 um 07:28 schrieb C.W. Betts:

Perhaps this has already been answered on the boards, but why was there a move to GIT? The main reason why I ask is because I don't have GIT installed on my system.
Is it possible to set it up so that GIT has an SVN back-end?

On my Mac I simply compile Git from sources.
`git --help` doesn't work that way without major hackery[1] due to missing tools for the man pages, so I just look up the HTML documentation on the Web.

Subversion doesn't allow you to do local commits, for instance, which you'd need to create a series of dependent patches.

Andreas

[1] See Git's INSTALL file.