qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Question about KVM and PC speaker

From: Sebastian Herbszt
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Question about KVM and PC speaker
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 22:55:06 +0200

Jan Kiszka wrote:
Sebastian Herbszt wrote:
Simon Bienlein wrote:
Is a support for BIOS worked on right now?

The vgabios (vgabios.c) has a "FIXME should beep". Volker, do you plan
to fix this?

Which frequency should be used for the beep? Which delay?

I would try 1 KHz and some hundred milliseconds.

I just looked at some vga bios and it uses about 896,45 Hz.

Getting a delay using "inb(0x61) & 0x10" is still a no go on qemu, right?

Looks like (should be far too inaccurate for longer delays). What about
0x40:0x6c, the BIOS' daily timer counter?

The bios i looked at used the refresh request port 0x61. This is supported by
bochs and
there is also a patch for qemu to replace the dummy [1]. The rombios uses this
to provide
INT 15h AH=86h functionality; this is likely broken with the dummy code in qemu.

Anyway, using "timer ticks since midnight" should be possible (INT 08h handler
is set up
before vga bios is called).

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.bochs.devel/7594

- Sebastian