qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] A dream of mine: the ability to run m68k NeXT applicati

From: Eagle
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] A dream of mine: the ability to run m68k NeXT applications
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 11:53:20 -0400

On May 19, 2009, at 16:10, François Revol wrote:
Greetings, all.

I have a dream.  Well, several actually, but two that are applicable
here.

The first is: I am interested in having the ability to run m68k NeXT
applications.  There are potentially several ways to do this, but two
come to mind:
1- a CPU-only emulator that runs on i386 NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP, similar
what Apple used during the transition from m68k to PPC.

It should be possible to port qemu to *STEP and add the needed syscall
translations, I suppose.

That's a nice concise explanation of what might need to be done, but I have no idea how to do it. :) Once upon a time, I was familiar with porting applications, but never something like QEMU. And, I wouldn't know the first thing about syscall translations. Maybe some other knowledgeable soul would be interested in doing something like this...

2- a full-blown NeXT hardware emulator.

This would help porting other OSes too...
I'd really like to add NeXT to the possible targets of my m68k Haiku
port...
Though I admit it's only just for fun :)

AFAIK the m68k support in QEMU is not finished, and is mostly coldfire
only.

Another option is to start from an existing 68k emulator.
There is UAE, ARAnyM...

ARAnyM is based on UAE cpu code, but has 040 mmu support (it has now
been backported to UAE as a patch).

The second dream that I have is: I am interested in a PPC Mac
emulator
that is capable of running OS X Server v1.2 (AKA Rhapsody).  I am
interested in this because I no longer have a PPC Mac that is capable
of running OS X Server.

Tried PearPC ?

I did try PearPC, but unfortunately it does not boot a Mac OS X Server v1.2 CD.

Laurent's idea of trying Mac-On-Linux on Linux-PPC in QEMU-PPC sounds interesting - I'm going to try that in the next week or so, if I have the time.

Daniel