qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [Qemu-commits] [COMMIT 3086844] Instead of writing

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [Qemu-commits] [COMMIT 3086844] Instead of writing a zero page, madvise it away
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 14:49:45 -0500

Paul Brook wrote:
We have the same issue on the migration source node.  I don't see a
simple way to solve it, though.
I don't follow.  In this case, the issue is:

1) Start a guest with 1024, balloon down to 128MB.  RSS size is now
~128MB
2) Live migrate to a different node
3) RSS on different node jumps to ~1GB
3.5) RSS on source node jumps to ~1GB, since reading the page
instantiates the pte
Surely we can do better here...

Huh, I'm surprised we have to. I was expecting linux to populate the region with CoW mappings of a single zero page, but apparently not. I guess reading a zero page without writing to it is a fairly rare case, and it's usually better to instantiate a writable page on the first access.

I did too. If you mmap(/dev/zero) you'll get that behavior but not with a normal allocation.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Paul

--