qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Planning for the 0.11.0 release

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Planning for the 0.11.0 release
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:47:58 -0500

Blue Swirl wrote:
On 6/23/09, Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

 It's getting to be about the time to start thinking about the 0.11.0
release.  0.10.0 was released on March 2nd so following with the 6 month
release cycle, that would put 0.11.0 at September 2nd.

 Based on the experiences with the stable releases, here's what I'd
recommend:

 o On July 15th, fork master -> stable-0.11
 o Change version to 0.10.90
 o Release qemu-0.11.0-rc1
 o Release additional -rcN releases every 1-2 weeks
 o Introduce a new maintainer for stable-0.10 (via git pulls)
 o At least 1 week before release, hopefully we'll have the final -rcN that
we can then declare 0.11.0.

Sounds OK. I think OpenBIOS releases should follow similar schedule,
maybe even with matching SVN tags (1.1-rc1 for 0.11.0-rc1 etc).

 I think we should really try hard to make these dates.  I only have a few
things that I would like to see happen before forking stable-0.11.  Namely:

 o Setup qemu.org infrastructure (git hosting, wiki)
 o Setup qemu bug tracker (see next mail)
 o Include all ROM source code in tree via git submodules.  This is a major
headache for distributors and I think it's important to resolve before our
next release.

I think this is great, but OpenBIOS still uses Subversion. Can git use
SVN submodules for example?
No, but it's not too hard to make svn->git bridges.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

--
Regards,