qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Powerpc regressions?

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Powerpc regressions?
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 16:55:03 -0700

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 7:05 PM, Rob Landley<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sunday 02 August 2009 07:25:45 Alexander Graf wrote:
>> On 02.08.2009, at 12:04, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
>> >
>> > I think using console=ttyPZ0 which is the serial port name on PowerPC
>> > will give you more details.
>
> Yup, that gave me boot messages.  Thanks.
>
> Huh.  It used ttyS0 with the other .config (I at least got boot messages), I
> wonder why that changed?  (Just confirmed that this .config has the driver
> for a
> 16550a built in.  And the name "ttyS0" for the first serial device is
> presumably about as genric as using eth1 for the first wired ethernet
> device...)

Sadly no. This was a subject of much debate, but Russel King insisted
that ttyS would be used only for NS16550-style UARTs. In the past, the
pmac_zilog driver hijacked that major/minor anyways, but it was later
changed to use its own major/minor (and ttyPZ). (I don't remember when
that change occurred, but it should be pretty easy for you to find out
if you care.)

-Hollis