qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] sha1sum segfaults on x86_64 target / i386 host

From: Aurelien Jarno
Subject: [Qemu-devel] sha1sum segfaults on x86_64 target / i386 host
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:49:49 +0200

Hi,

In qemu 0.10.X, sha1sum or gnupg segfault (both user and system mode)
when used on i386 host / x86_64 target.

This has been fixed in trunk by the following commit.

| commit 8cd6345d00a25ffa8828bce31154c88f76fb7fc6
| Author: malc <address@hidden>
| Date:   Thu Apr 2 22:54:35 2009 +0000
|
|    Immediate versions of ro[lr]
|
|    git-svn-id: svn://svn.savannah.nongnu.org/qemu/address@hidden
c046a42c-6fe2-441c-8c8c-71466251a162

Actually I am not really convinced it has been fixed, I really think the
bug is still present, but not triggerable anymore this way.

It looks like very long translation are not stopped correctly. This part
of code looks suspicious:

        /* if too long translation, stop generation too */
        if (gen_opc_ptr >= gen_opc_end ||
            (pc_ptr - pc_start) >= (TARGET_PAGE_SIZE - 32) ||
            num_insns >= max_insns) {
            gen_jmp_im(pc_ptr - dc->cs_base);
            gen_eob(dc);
            break;
        }

If I understand correctly, when the end of the buffer is reached, the
translation is stopped, but some more opc are added by gen_jmp_im()
and gen_eob().

OTOH, on MIPS the following code leaves some space at the end of the
buffer for a few more opc:

    /* Leave some spare opc slots for branch handling. */
    gen_opc_end = gen_opc_buf + OPC_MAX_SIZE - 16;

Applying the same changes to the x86_64 target fixes the bug. However, I
am not sure it is fully correct. Any comment?

Regards,
Aurelien

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
address@hidden                 http://www.aurel32.net