qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 08:41:23 +0200

On 09/30/2009 01:54 AM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
Hi,

Now that 0.11.0 is behind us, it's time to start thinking about 0.12.0.

I'd like to do a few things different this time around. I don't think the -rc process went very well as I don't think we got more testing out of it. I'd like to shorten the timeline for 0.12.0 a good bit. The 0.10 stable tree got pretty difficult to maintain toward the end of the cycle. We also had a pretty huge amount of change between 0.10 and 0.11 so I think a shorter cycle is warranted.

I think aiming for early to mid-December would give us roughly a 3 month cycle and would align well with some of the Linux distribution cycles. I'd like to limit things to a single -rc that lasted only for about a week. This is enough time to fix most of the obvious issues I think.

I'd also like to try to enumerate some features for this release. Here's a short list of things I expect to see for this release (target-i386 centric). Please add or comment on items that you'd either like to see in the release or are planning on working on.

o VMState conversion -- I expect most of the pc target to be completed
o qdev conversion -- I hope that we'll get most of the pc target completely converted to qdev
o storage live migration
o switch to SeaBIOS (need to finish porting features from Bochs)
o switch to gPXE (need to resolve slirp tftp server issue)
o KSM integration
o in-kernel APIC support for KVM
o guest SMP support for KVM
o updates to the default pc machine type

Machine monitor protocol.

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.